I just wrote this for study abroad papers. It turned out to be fairly poignant for my life right now. The Adriana and Luciana I'm referring to are the ones from The Comedy of Errors by William Shakespeare.

I speak as a woman finding herself in the 21st century that the dichotomy we see between the characters of Luciana and Adriana is the quintessential commentary on the dichotomy of what the woman of the new millennium faces within herself. As trivial as the comparison may seem, I am drawn to relate to the hit TV series Sex and the City. Each female character represents a different aspect of what it means to be a woman in a world full of modernism and tradition. That particular series I believe has drawn such appeal because every female can relate to one or many of the characters—and every female is faced with the decision as to which character they are . . . am I a Charlotte? Do I long for the life of a traditional mommy with the white picket fence? Does Samantha’s path appeal to my own? Is being a creature who owns their sexuality in an empowered and cutting edge form of feminism the life I would love? We see the same questions raised with the characters of Luciana and Adriana in Comedy of Errors.

In Luciana, there is a sense of piety and observance of all that is tradition. The man is the head of the family and deserves the respect which that title commands. Motherhood is the ultimate calling. Now I observe these aspects of Luciana not with disdain but with great appreciation and respect. Feminism as it has been presented the past 40-50 years has meant, by societal understanding, denying that which women have been called to do—to be a wife and mother. I would feign to argue that owning that calling and honoring it requires just as much, if not more, bravery and “feminism” in a modern world. If feminism is a celebration of all that is feminine, then by what logic does denying that which women are naturally inclined toward equate being a “feminist?”

Yet, in the same token, we are faced with Adriana. In my belief, true feminism is sincere love for all that which women can be; and that means celebrating a woman’s right to be that whichever feels natural to her. For some, that means being a Luciana—and for others, that means being an Adriana. Adriana pokes fun at marriage and men. She revels in rebellion and vulgarity. Just as I have admiration for all that Luciana represents, I feel the same for Adriana. Her perspective and bravery is refreshing. Her boldness is a rarity; and her strength is a gift for the world.

So, whether one is an Adriana or Luciana, I believe the point Shakespeare is making with presenting us with both characters is that women should be celebrated and admired in all their forms and personalities. It is a credit to Shakespeare’s open-mindedness that he recognized this and made commentaries on it in his works. It is a decision a face right along with Adriana and Luciana as to which I am . . . a Carrie or a Miranda, a Luciana or Adriana, a Charlotte or a Samantha.

0 comments: