Rainy Days











I loooovvvveee the rain. I think for a long time I've felt that I shouldn't love it, because the "dreary rainy days" whining so many people express has been put into my head so many times--it was definitely one of those power of suggestion things, I think. Because now that I am more and more becoming an adult and defining who I am and who I want to be, I'm discovering the things I actually like. Simply because that's what I like! It's not what I should like or need to like or because that's what my parents like, but the things that I, as an INDIVIDUAL, love about the world. But that was a tangent straying from my actual point. Ha which point is . . . I am filled with such peace on rainy days, inside and outside; overcast or sunny; rainbow or downpour, I love it. I could just run and sing and jump in the rain all day every day if I wanted to. I remember when I was maybe ten or eleven, it just poured and poured outside. I believe I was home alone for the day, a fairly commonplace occurrence (I got really good at entertaining myself, as I still am) and I suddenly had a burst of energy and ecstasy for the fact that there was rain pouring down. And this was the wonderful, huge, extremely loud and feverish rain that doesn't let up and doesn't let up and doesn't let up. So I ran outside and I starting singing and jumping and playing and the rain was so loud that I could sing at the top of my lungs and still no one could hear me. In addition to the wonderfulness, there was no one around in the neighborhood, no signs of life anywhere really, no passing cars, it was late afternoon in spring probably around six so it was that glorious almost dark gray skyness, even though you know that the sun is shining, probably setting on the horizon at that time of day, above the thick enclosing layer of beautiful rich clouds. We mere humans just can't see it is all. That was one of the best days of my life. I love the rain.


3 comments:

LizMcG said...

I have recently discovered that I am a fan of weather. I esp like rain storms here bc it is warm and heavy and they sometimes come with lightning. Come visit me and we can go for a walk in the rain okay?

Emily said...

Did you know it rains nine months out of the year in Seattle, WA? 97% of the reason I want to live there. I love your pictures on this post. They are beautiful! Just like you!

Stephanie said...

As a person who has lived in Seattle for a year, I have to say it doesn't "rain" for those nine months. It sprinkles and usually rains in the morning or the evening but not both. But, I love it. The best part is what all that water does to the foliage. I think you should come visit.